Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Good politics means sometimes you have to twist some arms...and break some legs.

So I have not been paying enough attention to the GOP race for AG here in Indiana lately. I knew their was a race and that I would be backing Jon Costas for two reasons:

1. He is from northern Indiana and being a big partisan from my part of our state I have to be with my people.
2. He is a former client and I would need a pretty good reason not to back someone I have help get elected in the past.

So what about Greg Zoeller? Greg is a great guy and would make a great AG but I can only choose one.

Now on to my subject. "arm twisting" and "strong arming"? Do we have a kerfuffle?

I know lots of friends and colleagues who are backing Zoeller and some are concerned about what the Governor's endorsement means and some supposed "heavy handed" activity by his surrogates. Let's all be grown ups for a bit.

Party discipline for Republicans has always been a fickle issue. We are all about it when we are getting our own way but cry foul when it goes against us. In all seriousness Indiana Republicans have been without any real party discipline for almost 20 years. Ask anyone over the age of 45 who has been active in GOP politics and it used to be a different political world we operated in. Anyone remember Keith Bulen? I mean come on guys. We used to draw blood on each other on a pretty regular basis.

In regards to the the Governor weighing in...is anyone really surprised? He is the leader of the party. I would be the first one to admit as a former County Chairman that there were times when I wished he was more partisan and skipped all that talk about "bipartisan cooperation". I backed Mike Delph for his Senate bid in 2005 despite some somewhat mixed signals from the Governor's corner. I laid my cards down for my friend and never regretted it (a lot easier when they win). My point is that those of us that are actively involved with politics, despite what we say, often respect and admire political authority and those who use it. I genuinely believe that we want and expect strong leadership from the top of our party (I am a veteran of the Bush Cheney operation know what loyalty to the family means).

In less than a week our party will nominate one of two great guys and to go on to kick the crap out of the Democrats in the fall. So then those of us on the inside of party politics will need to go out for drink, yell a little, trade some stories and move on.

3 comments:

daltonsbriefs said...

Thanks for the post Chris I quoted over at Porter County Politics

GOP Grunt backing Jon Costas

I understand your balanced approach and desire to see everyone shake off the intra-party tussles and build a bond that together can win in November. Thanks

Anonymous said...

That’s all fine and good Chris and there is nothing wrong with folks doing everything they can to get Costas the win. The Governor has every right to weigh into this, but when people’s livelihood are threatened and they’re told they won’t work in Indiana Republican Politics if they back Zoeller then it becomes counter productive. Costas is great and I’ll be more than happy to back him if he wins. But I’m really not all that excited about helping the Gov or state party or any of the folks here who are making threats. Sure I’ll vote for them, but I won’t work my ass off for them like I’ve done for the past 6 years. I’d have no problem if the Gov’s folks and Tom filled all the delegate slots with their people, got all the endorsements they could and called delegates and told them the Gov needed them on their side this time. But when you call a guy who’s been active in Marion County Politics for 20 years, who is on vacation trying to deal with the death of his daughter and fire him as township chair for backing Zoeller you’ve lost me. I don’t like people who do things like that and I won’t give up my nights and weekends for them.

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,

Very impressed with your website. Please contact.

Sincerely,
Raymond Smalley
Martin-Stewart
(740)-269-4035
(330)-204-5331