Tuesday, January 15, 2008

So there are these two twin homeschoolers with computers...

No this is not the lead up to a dirty joke.

Hat tip to TechRepublican for this awesome story about Brett and Alex Harris who are the power behind Hucksarmy.com . Again, full disclosure I am not a Huck fan...but I am a fan of ordinary people taking charge of their democracy. There are so many cool tidbits in this story there is no way I can cover them all.

"Hucksarmy.com uses Meetup to organize group meetings, but that's where the resemblance to 2004's coffee-and-croissants netroots ends. The Harris brothers and their campaign managers are building a national team with specific responsibilities. For example, there's a point person for almost all 50 states, and special "liaisons" on each of the popular social-networking sites. The twins and their 28-year-old volunteer campaign manager, Jimmy Morris, who lives in the small town of Joplin, Missouri, meet nightly via conference call to strategize and to share ideas that have bubbled up through regional Meetup groups during the day."

This is some cool stuff. I have always said when I do grassroots and campaign training that the best volunteers, pound for pound, are homeschoolers. It is amazing at how technology is unleashing this tight bond amongst social conservatives and throwing off the limitations of geography. I am kind of easily impressed sometimes but if these two are not working for whoever our eventual nominee is then somewhere along the pipeline someone is stupid.

Great job to the Harris brothers and if I am struck by a sharp object in the head tomorrow I found out that my local Hucksarmy chapter already has 15 members I can join.

No comments: